Dublin Hammers Gallery - FA Cup 1980 - Semi-final

West Ham United vs Everton - Saturday 12th April 1980

Final Score: 1-1(Half-time 0-1).
Scorers: West Ham Utd; Pearson (68). Everton; Kidd (42 pen).
Venue: Villa Park, Birmingham.
Attendance: 47,685.


West Ham United: Parkes, Stewart, Brush, Bonds (c), Martin, Devonshire, Allen, Pearson (Pike 75), Cross, Brooking, Holland.
Everton: Hodge, Gidman, Bailey, Wright, Lyons (c), Eastoe, Megson (Latchford), King, Kidd, Hartford, Ross.

What the programme said...

A fiery 1980 FA Cup semi final that saw Everton finish the game with only ten men after Brian Kidd has seen red for squaring up to Ray Stewart ended in a stalemate after Kidd's first half penalty - conceded by Alan Devonshire - has been cancelled out by Stuart Pearson' late equaliser at Villa Park. That, combined with Bryan Hamilton's late 'goal' being disallowed by Clive Thomas meant the two teams met again at Elland Road four days later for the replay.

semi final ticket semi final ticket
Semi-final ticket - front Semi-final ticket - back
villa park photos
Photo spread taken from Hammer
villa park photos
Photo spread taken from the Cup Final Programme

YouTube Highlights

Personal Memories

Went to this game by coach, remember getting to Upton Park and seeing all the Lacey’s coaches lined up! Lovely sunny day, the grass bank outside the Holte End was full of West Ham sitting out drinking. Found a spot about half way up the terrace standing on the edge of a 6ft drop to the walkway below. Had to hang onto a crush bar. When Allen sacored what I thought was the winner, I jumped up and promptly disappeared downwards, along with the lad next to me! Coach was attached on the way out of Birmingham and a brick was thrown through one of the back windows. As a result we had to take it handy on the way back to London. We gave a loud cheer as the West Ham Team coach passed us by... we also gave a coach full of nuns a good mooning! I jumped out of the coach in north London to catch the tube home. Ran for the tube, jumped on, only to find it full of Arsenal fans returning from their semi final against Liverpool!

<back to top of page>